Skip over Navigation to the main Page Content (access key is 2)

Advice Surgeries

Meet Meg by appointment at an MP Advice Surgery …


How I can help you as your MP

The Portcullis - emblem of both Houses of Parliament This page provides information on what I can, and cannot, do for you as your MP. This information is taken from the House of Commons Information Office Factsheet ‘M1’, which you can download here in full in Adobe Acrobat format.



My Role as an MP

Since election my job has been to represent my constituents in Parliament. This means that I take up issues on behalf of my constituents or point people in the right direction if their enquiry can be dealt with by another body. I ask questions and make speeches in the House of Commons, pressing government ministers for an answer or raising an issue of concern to constituents.

My role as an MP is to represent all the people in my constituency, not just those who voted for me. I am here to represent the interests of all the people of Sheffield Heeley, regardless of their political views, with all matters for which Parliament or central government is responsible and I will do so to the best of my ability.


What I can - and cannot - do for you

Many people think that their MP is able to solve all their problems for them. Regrettably, this is simply not the case. MPs are there to help only with matters which releate to Parliament or central Government, or which fall under their responsibility. If problems arise with work carried out by central government departments I may be able to help you. These include areas such as:

  • Issues dealt with by the Department of Health, such as hospitals and the National Health Service
  • Issues involving the Inland Revenue and Customs and Excise Departments, such as Tax (but not council tax, which is dealt with by your local authority)
  • Issues dealt with by the Department of Social Security, such as benefits, pensions and national insurance (but not issues with the social services department which is dealt with by your local authority)
  • Issues dealt with by the Home Office and the Department for Education and Employment, such as immigration, school closures and grants (but not, for example, day-to-day problems involving schools, which are run by their governors and your local education authority)

My role does not allow me to help you with private disputes, for example with other individuals or with companies who have sold you faulty goods.

I also cannot interfere with decisions made by courts, nor can I get preferential treatment or bend the rules for individual cases.


Parliamentary protocol

Please note that there is a strict convention at Westminster – a ‘Parliamentary Protocol’ – that Members of Parliament do not seek to intervene in matters affecting the constituents of other Members. In normal circumstances, therefore, I will only be able to pursue matters raised by my own constituents.

If you are not sure who your MP is, you can find out by telephoning the House of Commons Information Service on: 0207 219 4272. Tell them your address and they will check who your MP is. Alternatively, you can find your own MP at this website :


Other ways to seek Help

Constituents often approach me with a problem because they do not know who else could help them. In these circumstances, I will try my best to help you. However, if your problem really concerns the local or County Council, rather than central government, then you should contact your local council or councillor first. This means my time can be better spent in dealing with problems that relate to me in my capacity as an MP, rather than diverting queries that should be taken up elsewhere in the first instance.